When it comes to your health, you may have more control than you think. By taking provider-recommended preventive care steps, you may be able to reduce your risk for developing chronic disease. Reversing your outlook starts with fundamental lifestyle changes. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has identified three risk factors where change is crucial for improving quality of life: smoking, poor diet, and lack of exercise. By eliminating these three risk factors, the CDC estimates:
- 80 percent of heart disease and stroke would be prevented, as well as
- 80 percent of type 2 diabetes and
- 40 percent of cancers
(Reported by Partnership to Fight Chronic Disease)
It’s never too late to change your lifestyle habits and improve your health and quality of life. You can get started at The Mollen Clinic when you schedule a wellness exam. Call our Scottsdale office at 480-656-0016.
4 Reasons to Get Preventive Care in Scottsdale, AZ
The statistics gathered by The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention speak for themselves. Here are four reasons why all patients should seek preventive care in the form of wellness exams – regardless of age or medical history.
- “Seven of the top 10 causes of death in 2010 were chronic diseases. Two of these chronic diseases—heart disease and cancer—together accounted for nearly 48% of all deaths.” As stated above, 80 percent of heart disease cases and 40 percent of cancers may be prevented through lifestyle changes, which your provider may prompt you to make during your annual wellness exam.
- “Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure, lower limb amputations other than those caused by injury, and new cases of blindness among adults.” Again, many instances of diabetes can be prevented or even reversed by having your health monitored by a primary care provider.
- “In 2011, more than half (52%) of adults aged 18 years or older did not meet recommendations for aerobic exercise or physical activity. In addition, 76% did not meet recommendations for muscle-strengthening physical activity.” If you have a health condition that prevents you from exercising, your provider may be able to suggest alternative forms of exercise.
- “Eighty-four percent of all health care spending in 2006 was for the 50% of the population who have one or more chronic medical conditions.” Having a chronic health condition is expensive. By seeing your provider regularly, you may be able to reduce the likelihood of developing a chronic condition, saving not only your health, but also your time and money.
Learn more about preventive care services in Scottsdale, AZ at The Mollen Clinic. Call our office at 480-656-0016 to schedule your appointment.
How Your Scottsdale Provider Can Help
In many cases, a patient’s outcome is significantly affected by the patient’s commitment to their own health. This includes scheduling appointments and attending follow-up visits, acting on your health care provider’s recommendations, and making necessary dietary and lifestyle changes. At The Mollen Clinic, we can help by providing regular wellness exams.
A wellness exam, typically scheduled on an annual basis, is an opportunity to talk about any changes in your health or concerns you may have. During this appointment, your health care provider will perform basic services to evaluate and monitor your health, such as:
- Age-appropriate vaccinations/immunizations
- Blood pressure and glucose checks
- Weight, height and BMI checks
- Hearing test
- Bone density test
- Cholesterol check
- Breast exam
- Screening for cervical, prostate or colorectal cancer
General health and wellness issues may also be discussed:
- Nutritional counseling
- Physical activity
- Weight management
- Injury prevention
- Sexual behavior
- Substance abuse (e.g. tobacco, alcohol and drugs)
Learn more about preventive care services for adults at The Mollen Clinic.